Backup aborted unexpected network error occurred

Author
alanbo
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect v.7
Home Edition 64 bit
Build 3196

Windows Pro 64 bit
Build 1803 with all current updates

Backup destination is a mapped external WD My Passport drive connected to a mapped WD My Cloud network drive. The network runs through powerline networking.

I got the “Backup aborted unexpected network error occurred” message when a scheduled full file backup failed. The backup monitoring window showed that there was a successful connection to the backup destination disk. The backup file size is c. 90Gb. I rebooted the laptop and the WD My Cloud network drive, as it has been suggested elsewhere in this forum that rebooting the server might solve the problem. I tried several times to run the backup again by right clicking on the schedule in Reflect/Backup tab/ Scheduled Backups and selecting Run Now. Again the backup failed again with the same message. Differential file backups run normally on schedule. There do not seem to have been any problems with my network during all this.

When I select Reflect/Backup tab/Backup Definition Files and right click on the file definition and select Run Now/Full the backup ran successfully but it took nearly 4 hours.

After previous failed backups, I have had problems running the backup again from the Scheduled Backups tab, but those problems are solved by running the backup again from the Backup Definition Files tab.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
If scheduled Diffs work fine, then it's not a problem with backups that occur under the scheduled user context as opposed to backups that occur under your user context, the latter of which is used when you run a job manually from the Backup Definition Files tab.  There wouldn't be a configuration difference that would allow scheduled Diffs to succeed but scheduled Fulls to fail like that.  However, a single blip in network connectivity can cause a Reflect job to fail (although usually with a more descriptive error), and powerline networking certainly isn't bulletproof -- and statistically you're more likely to encounter a blip during a Full than a Diff simply because a Full is a larger job.  As a test, try moving either your WD network drive or your PC so that both devices are connected solely via Ethernet switch gear rather than powerline networking and see if the scheduled Full succeeds.  You can even trigger it manually by going to the Scheduled Backups tab, right-clicking the Full job, and selecting Run Now.  If it works, then powerline networking is your culprit.  I've got a Wish List thread requesting more graceful handling of temporary network disruptions, but to date it has not been implemented.

Also, since you mention that the drives are "mapped", does that mean your destination path uses a mapped drive letter rather than a UNC path?  If you want backups to run on a schedule, you should really use UNC paths.  It doesn't seem to be a requirement in your case since your scheduled Diffs apparently work, but getting network drive mappings that you create in your user account to work in a scheduled backup job typically involves some extra work that can be avoided by using UNC paths instead.

Edited 13 June 2018 2:43 PM by jphughan
alanbo
alanbo
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
jphughan - 13 June 2018 2:39 PM
As a test, try moving either your WD network drive or your PC so that both devices are connected solely via Ethernet switch gear rather than powerline networking and see if the scheduled Full succeeds......I've got a Wish List thread requesting more graceful handling of temporary network disruptions, but to date it has not been implemented.

you should really useUNC paths.
I managed to do the full backup eventually via the network - I've had to connect the drive directly to the PC in the past, but that kind of defeats the object of hands free automatic scheduling.

I use UNC paths, particularly as Reflect doesn't seem to recognise mapped drives.

Can you point me to the wish list thread, and I 'll add a note about temporary network disruptions as well?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The ability for Reflect to see mapped drives is based on how Windows works, not really an issue with Reflect.  Basically, drive mappings created in your interactive logon session aren't available to scheduled tasks, and vice versa, even when the scheduled task is running under the same user account.  Additionally, by default drive mappings created in the regular Windows interface aren't available to any applications running with elevated privileges, even those running interactively, and vice versa.  That's why UNC paths are the far better way to go.

My big Wish List thread that includes this idea is here.

Edited 15 June 2018 3:14 PM by jphughan
Mr Larrington
Mr Larrington
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
(Thread necromancy)

Home Edition 64-bit v8.1.7387
Win 10 Home 64-bit

I've been getting this for a while both with Reflect Free and latterly with the paid-for version. Happens when Macrium tries to delete the oldest previous backup to make space for the one currently running. Also does it if you delete the backup set manually from within Macrium while a backup is running.  Restart with sufficient free space on the target and it works fine.

Like the OP it's backing up to a WD My Cloud network drive. NAS is connected using UNC path over a wired network.  I recently shifted the target drive for a couple of other backups to a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS so it'll be interesting to see what happens once that gets full enough to require auto-deletions by Reflect.

Edit: 2023-06-02 - it's done it again

Saving Partition - SCMODS (F:)
Reading File System Bitmap
CBT Init Success
Searching for NTFS meta data
Looking for changes
Saving Partition
Free space low: 512.00 GB required 511.65 GB available
Backup Sets: 4 sets found
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-00-00.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-01-01.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-02-02.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-03-03.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-04-04.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-05-05.mrimg
Delete File: \\MRCREOSOTE\Public\Backups\Bruiser McHuge\80644A1D47500D29-06-06.mrimg
512.00 GB required 1.86 TB available
Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/O Performance: Read 3.4 Gb/s - Write 645.2 Mb/s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - An unexpected network error occurred.

It deleted the oldest backup set OK and re-ran OK when re-submitted manually.

Edited 2 June 2023 12:03 PM by Mr Larrington
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search