Clone failing with error 13 and error 32

Author
Tim David
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to clone a hard drive and it gets approximately 3% into the job and fails with "Read failure - 13; Permissions Denied - 32".  Does anyone have some ideas I can try?

Thank you.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Tim David - 14 March 2018 3:27 PM
I am trying to clone a hard drive and it gets approximately 3% into the job and fails with "Read failure - 13; Permissions Denied - 32".  Does anyone have some ideas I can try?

Thank you.

If memory serves, permissions denied can be caused by interference from third-party anti-virus if you're running any.  You can try disabling that, or if that doesn't work (some anti-virus solutions don't allow themselves to be completely disabled even when they say they are), then if this is just a one-off clone in order to migrate onto a new drive, it might be easier to just perform the clone from the Rescue Media environment since that of course won't have anti-virus running.  If that doesn't solve the issue, you could also run CHKDSK with the /R switch against whatever partition Reflect was working on when that error occurred, but that can take quite a long time if the partition is large.  Also note that if Reflect was working on a partition that does not have a drive letter assigned by default, you'll need to temporarily assign that partition a drive letter using the built-in diskpart tool in order to target it with CHKDSK.

Edited 14 March 2018 3:48 PM by jphughan
Tim David
Tim David
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
jphughan - 14 March 2018 3:46 PM

Thank you.

If memory serves, permissions denied can be caused by interference from third-party anti-virus if you're running any.  You can try disabling that, or if that doesn't work (some anti-virus solutions don't allow themselves to be completely disabled even when they say they are), then if this is just a one-off clone in order to migrate onto a new drive, it might be easier to just perform the clone from the Rescue Media environment since that of course won't have anti-virus running.  If that doesn't solve the issue, you could also run CHKDSK with the /R switch against whatever partition Reflect was working on when that error occurred, but that can take quite a long time if the partition is large.  Also note that if Reflect was working on a partition that does not have a drive letter assigned by default, you'll need to temporarily assign that partition a drive letter using the built-in diskpart tool in order to target it with CHKDSK.

Thank you very much.  I'll try the anti-virus solution and see if that works.
Tim David
Tim David
jphughan - 14 March 2018 3:46 PM

Thank you.

Hi,

I tried the Rescue Media method, because I couldn't disable my anti virus.  The failure occurred at the same point (3%) for the same two reasons.  Read fail 13 and Permissions Denied 32.  I have a feeling it may be a physically damaged drive at this point.  The drive is full disk encrypted with Symantec Endpoint Encryption version 8.  I have previously had 100% success with cloning drives like this one using sector by sector cloning.  This is the only one I have not been able to clone.  Thank you for your assistance.  If you have any other ideas, please don't hesitate to throw them my way
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Are you using the latest version of Reflect, and is your Rescue Media using the latest version of Reflect as well?  Version 7.1.2801, released back in late December, included a fix specifically for cloning/imaging partitions encrypted with that Symantec product.  Sorry if that's an obvious question, but sometimes it turns out users are still using an old version of Reflect, and even if they've updated, sometimes they didn’t update their Rescue environment.  The Reflect version is shown in the title bar along the top of the application window.  If you're running the latest version within "real" Windows but not in the Rescue environment, step through the Create Rescue Media wizard and click the Rebuild button at the last step and then Next to update those files, or you may see an automatic prompt to do this, in which case click Continue and then Next.

If that's not it, if you've been trying to perform a sector-by-sector clone while the partition is completely locked, would cloning the partition while it is unlocked (not permanently decrypted, just unlocked) and then re-enabling encryption on the destination afterward be an option?

Edited 17 March 2018 2:59 PM by jphughan
Tim David
Tim David
jphughan - 15 March 2018 1:21 PM
Are you using the latest version of Reflect, and is your Rescue Media using the latest version of Reflect as well?  Version 7.1.2801, released back in late December, included a fix specifically for cloning/imaging partitions encrypted with that Symantec product.  Sorry if that's an obvious question, but sometimes it turns out users are still using an old version of Reflect, and even if they've updated.  The Reflect version is shown in the title bar along the top of the application window.  If you're running the latest version within "real" Windows but not in the Rescue environment, step through the Create Rescue Media wizard and click the Rebuild button at the last step and then Next to update those files, or you may see an automatic prompt to do this, in which case click Continue and then Next.

If that's not it, if you've been trying to perform a sector-by-sector clone while the partition is completely locked, would cloning the partition while it is unlocked (not permanently decrypted, just unlocked) and then re-enabling encryption on the destination afterward be an option?

I checked my version and it's 7.1 build 2917.  Glad you thought to have me check.  The problem with doing the clone with the partition unlocked is that I can't unlock it. The disk is failing to boot properly (the symantec pre-boot environment loads, Windows 7 begins to start, and then it blue screens, and immediate reboots the machine. There isn't even time to see what the blue screen says, it happens so fast.  Our field services people have the ability to decrypt the drives, but in recent incidents they have failed to get the decrypt to work, and have irreparably damaged the drive so badly that even a forensic team from NCIS was unable to recover the data.  My intent was to just make a clone of the disk, and then let field services try to decrypt, knowing that we had a backup copy of the disk that we could give to a forensics team to work on.  It appears that I won't be able to create that bit of insurance. So we may just be stuck with rolling the dice. And I am not at all comfortable with that.  I am considering asking my leadership to submit the drive to NCIS instead of allowing field services to foul it.  Thank you all for being so determined to find me a solution.  You were able to help me in the past, and actually, I may have been the customer that caused you to come up with that Symantec fix
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I just realized I didn’t finish a sentence in the original version of that previous post. I meant to say that even if people have updated, sometimes they didn’t update their Rescue Media files, but it sounds like you’ve already checked that since that’s the only environment you’re working with at the moment. This is a long shot, but have you tried manually choosing Forensic Mode rather than the default intelligent sector copy? I’m betting Reflect is already doing that anyway if the partition is locked, but it can’t hurt to try. Otherwise, Macrium may have some ideas for you either here or if you submit a support ticket, which I would definitely do in your position if you don’t hear back here since I can completely understand your reluctance to just roll the dice here. Good luck!
SolihullRog
SolihullRog
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
SOLVED

I know this is an old thread, but I just encountered it and solved it.
I found two that my Macrium backup file had some sort of corruption.  It failed the validation test by Macrium rescue disc.
Hope that helps.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search