Aggregated list of outstanding "quick win" feature requests

Author
JeroldS
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If I pause the backup  a few seconds in and defrag the stub, the rest of the backup writes continuously in the dragged free space. It takes about 2 minutes. If I defrag the backup after it complete (without the pause)it takes up to 2 hours. All of this is scripted, except the pause.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Except the stub file isn’t set to be the size of the final backup because Reflect doesn’t know in advance how large the backup will be, due to factors like the fact that compression ratios vary based on the nature of the data being compressed, so I still don’t see how defragging a few minutes in guarantees a contiguous file. I also question the value proposition of the additional defragging beyond what Windows already does automatically on a periodic basis, specifically whether the additional wear on the disk is worth any performance benefit, especially on a disk being used to store backups where performance typically isn’t a major priority. But of course that’s a larger discussion, and if the desire to defrag is based on you being a self-proclaimed neat freak, then I guess that discussion is moot anyway.
JeroldS
JeroldS
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
About half th   time, the first stub has 3-5 fragments and the rest is written contigously. By dninefragging the stub using the free space defragger of Perfect Disk, the rest of the backup abutts the stub and contues to write contigously. At the end of the backup, the script runs the freespace efragger, but if the last backup is already defragged, it takes less than a minute, instead of 2 hours. I have attached the script. If you are really interested, I will provide the sub-routines it calls.

Signing off fof the day

Attachments
MacriumReflect.txt (0 views, 17.00 KB)
avpman
avpman
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
This is a BIG one, very important now that NAS and cloud backups are a lot of the norm and wave of the future. This is particularly important when consolidating incremental backups where Reflect frequently fails with an Error - 59.

Handle network interruptions during backup/restore jobs gracefully (pause, retry, resume) rather than failing the entire job at the first interruption. Perhaps include the option to specify the number of retries or timeout periods before abandoning the job.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search