Aggregated list of outstanding "quick win" feature requests

Author
BGregory
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)Proficient Member (310 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
JP, that's really great news.  I've been reading the posts on the latest updates and was holding off until things were stable but now I have to download the latest and give it a whirl.
Thanks Macrium for these much anticipated additions.  I'm sure others will welcome these changes.
Bob Gregory

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Updated the list at the beginning of this thread in light of the new release that warns when a BitLocker-protected target will not be encrypted after the restore, since that would not otherwise be obvious to users who were restoring OS volumes that used using a TPM-only protector. Kudos to Macrium for this and their other security-related enhancements of late!

Edited 12 December 2017 5:56 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Added request to improve automatic update check and notification functionality that came up in the V7 Installation section.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Added two more ideas to the General section since I remember both being requested somewhere on the forum in the past

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Updated the list in the first post to reflect functionality added for Reflect 7.2.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Updated the first post based on items implemented/addressed in recent Reflect releases, added some new items.

JeroldS
JeroldS
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Version 7 enhancement request

I backup using:
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "C:\Users\Jerold\Documents\Reflect\My Backup.xml" -full

While it is running, I would love to be able to do the following:
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "C:\Users\Jerold\Documents\Reflect\My Backup.xml" -pause

and some time later:
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "C:\Users\Jerold\Documents\Reflect\My Backup.xml" -unpause

This is so I can run a defrag of the .mrimg file a minute or so into starting.

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Interesting request.  I am not aware of the benefit of doing such a thing.  I understand the benefit of defragging a drive before starting an image backup. But if the drive has already been defragged, what is changed by doing the defrag after the start of the file creation?  I have an SSD (which needs no defrag) for my main drives, but my backups are done to a spinner which might benefit from a defrag.  Though I never defrag it and have not noticed any slowness or similar issues due to not defragging. . 
JeroldS
JeroldS
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Drac144 - 26 November 2019 8:06 PM
Interesting request.  I am not aware of the benefit of doing such a thing.  I understand the benefit of defragging a drive before starting an image backup. But if the drive has already been defragged, what is changed by doing the defrag after the start of the file creation?  I have an SSD (which needs no defrag) for my main drives, but my backups are done to a spinner which might benefit from a defrag.  Though I never defrag it and have not noticed any slowness or similar issues due to not defragging. . 

I am a neat freak. I defrag the Backup device before the backup, but the backup doesn't always build a contiguous file, which my script requires. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Why would being able to defrag the file a minute into the job increase the likelihood that you’ll have a contiguous file in the end? Why not wait until the file exists in its entirety to defrag it? And what aspect of your script “requires” a contiguous file? In fact, HOW can your script even have a contiguous file requirement if it currently takes action before the backup and therefore before the file in question has even been created?

On a practical note, it might be better to post this request as its own topic rather than in a post on Page 2 of a thread that already has a long list of other feature requests in its first post.
Edited 26 November 2019 11:34 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search