Macrium Image Guardian (aka MIG)

Author
Ch3vr0n
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Nick - 10 July 2017 9:01 AM
GPT boot disks use the UEFI firmware to start Windows, and unlike legacy MBR, is 100% protected with Microsoft 'secure boot' which validates the digital signature of the boot code before executing. 

Incorrect. That only applies if your the MB's firmware has the "secure boot" setting enabled. Some MB's like mine have that DISABLED by default.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
^ Interesting, given that one of Microsoft's requirements for the "Windows 10 certified PC" designation has been that it ship with Secure Boot enabled, and in some cases the user isn't even supposed to have an option to disable it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901262/microsoft-tightens-windows-10s-secure-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html

If your PC came with Windows 7 pre-installed, then yes Secure Boot would have been disabled -- but in that case your system would also have a disk set up as MBR, not GPT, and it would have stayed that way even if you upgraded to Windows 10, in which case this would be a moot point.  I'm not sure what the disk layout and BIOS configuration would have been for systems that shipped with Win8.x, however.

Edited 22 August 2017 8:02 PM by jphughan
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)Proficient Member (315 reputation)
I have UEFI BIOS but I have to disable Secure Boot in order to boot some CDs/USB flash drives.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search