Windows 10 Incremental Clone - Source Disk FAT32 Partition Problem

Author
JohnNP
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Arvy - 20 June 2017 12:46 AM

.......  I was a little uncertain about your references to "incremental" clone scheduling and so though it might be worth a look.  Strange that a delta should take the same time as the original full, but I can't think of any other "theory" to offer at the moment.  I wonder, however, if drive "optimization" might be involved.

I should stop using the words "incremental clone" and use Rapid Delta Clone. My understanding is that the RDC is in fact what I am calling an incremental clone.

It is the fact that the RDC takes as long as a full clone, that is concerning me. I believe that if I did another clone now, when nothing much has changed, that the RDC would only take 15 minutes or so, however if I wait for a fortnight and undertake exactly the same process, it takes almost 2.5 hours.

You mention drive "optimization" Richard. Is this something that I can have control of or does Macrium look after this as part of the RDC process.

Regards,
John

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
No problem. I assumed that you probably meant RDC, but I figured there'd be no harm in verifying the log record anyhow.

Windows 10 schedules a drive optimisation task to run once each week on all drives by default.  See this TenForums tutorial for all of the "techie" details. The default settings for both the scheduling and which drives are to be optimized can be altered by clicking on the optimiser applet's Change Settings button shown in that item's 4th image.  For SSDs it should do nothing more than a "trim" function, but I have seen suggestions that a lot more location "juggling" than that may be involved in some cases.  Someone with a lot more SSD expertise than I may be able to educate us both about potential impacts (if any) on Reflect's delta detection and handling processes.  Or you could experiment by turning if off completely for a week or two. Smile

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 20 June 2017 2:20 AM by Arvy
JohnNP
JohnNP
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Thanks again Richard,

So Windows 10 now calls what used to be known as Defrag, "Optimization." I didn't know that but have now checked and thankfully, automatic optimization is not turned on, so I guess that excludes drive optimization as the culprit for the long time is takes for the RDC operation to complete.

The reason I haven't responded sooner is because I just performed another RDC operation and it took 2hrs 08minutes. This is less than 24 hours since the last RDC and I am at a loss to understand why the operation took so long. Very little has changed on my laptop hard disk in the time between the two operations.

I think I'd better continue this conversation using a new thread title because I have strayed from the original topic I created and it will confuse/irritate anyone doing future searches of the forum.

Regards,
John

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
So Windows 10 now calls what used to be known as Defrag, "Optimization."

Well, not exactly.  The new "optimization" nomenclature was adopted to cover both defragmentation for HDDs and the trim process used for SSDs.  However, since you say that all drive optimisation has been disabled in your case, there's really not much point in pursuing those details any further.  As you suggest, opening a newly titled thread more clearly identifying your current issue may be best in any case.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 20 June 2017 5:27 AM by Arvy
Scott Nelson
Scott Nelson
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
I have the same problem.
I do see that the disk I am cloning to says, it will be erased before the clone operation.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (13K reputation)
Scott Nelson - 5 July 2017 7:24 PM
have the same problem.I do see that the disk I am cloning to says, it will be erased before the clone operation.

That's definitely true for the first time you clone one disk to another, and Reflect might issue that warning for all manually executed clone operations, but I don't know since I don't clone one disk to another on an ongoing basis. However, note that the destination erasure will ALWAYS be true for non-NTFS partitions since RDC doesn't work for those. For those partitions, a Full clone will always be performed, so the warning might be referring to a specific PARTITION (or partitions) on the target rather than saying the entire disk will be erased. But whatever the case, after that first clone, subsequent clone operations of the same source to the same destintion should use RDC for NTFS partitions.
Edited 5 July 2017 8:18 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search