Windows RESTORE POINTS... are they imaged?

Author
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Arvy / Drac144... do you know if this KB Article (Restore Points ON/OFF) is applicable to v6?

WARNING: I have not actually tried the utility in the referenced KB article myself.  This answer therefore contravenes my normal practice and includes some "guesswork" speculation.  It is based, in part, on the answer provided by Stephen in another forum thread.

My guess is that the MRRestorePoints.exe utility merely modifies certain Windows registry entries that affect Reflect's VSS snapshot behaviour.  In particular, I would expect that it works on the registry key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage" to alter or remove the RestorePoints value which is normally set to "$AllVolumes$\System Volume Information\*{3808876B-C176-4e48-B7AE-04046E6CC752} /s" on my system.  If that is so, then the behavioural results of the MRRestorePoints.exe utility would be the same regardless of the particular version of Reflect under which it is used.  Note the cautionary statements about reliability of the 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' in the above-linked forum thread however.

P.S.: As a matter of purely academic interest, examining other registry keys and values under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore indicates that the exclusions for MacriumImage are far fewer and much less extensive than those used in other "normal" VSS snapshot behaviour.  So I can't see anything especially problematic about removing the singular remaining RestorePoints exclusion entry.  Maybe Nick or Stephen can enlighten us both in that respect.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 23 May 2015 6:23 PM by Arvy
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Wow, I had no idea that the utility existed.  It looks like it might set a registry entry. The description looks like it does exactly what we have been discussing. I expect it would apply to V6 (though I was wrong about SR points being included). 

(Arvy,  I did not see your post when responding with the above - but what you suggest sounds reasonable.)

Edited 23 May 2015 10:19 PM by Drac144
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Very kind of you to say so.

It is especially interesting to note that Windows own registry entries under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot do not specify the exclusion of RestorePoints from its "normal" VSS snapshots.  That RestorePoints exclusion seems to be unique to Macrium's VSS snapshot specifications only.  At least that is the case with my own system setup under both Win7 and Win8.1.

Edited 24 May 2015 11:52 AM by Arvy
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)

That makes sense.  Based on the specification-centric world, anything Macrium can do to make the size of the backup files smaller will improve sales.  This is clearly one simple change that can significantly reduce backup size.  And if customers (i.e. people who already purchased Reflect) want to include the restore points, Macrium can (and apparently did) just provide a patch.

The biggest issue is that patch is apparently a little known feature.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Seems to me like it would make a lot more sense and be much more convenient than some obscure separate "patch" if it were just one more optional setting along with all the others in the Reflect app itself for handling registry entries, backup definition XMLs, retention rules templates, etc.  In fact, since this particular option involves just a single registry value change, it would be a comparatively trivial one for Macrium to implement if requested by Froggie or others in the "Wish List" I would think.

__
EDIT: I see now that Nick has replied to Froggie's question in his other thread saying that Reflect's MRRestorePoints.exe utility should not be used at all with either v5 or v6 because restore points "are invalidated by the snapshot and cannot be used."  That's quite puzzling since restore points aren't excluded from Windows own "normal" VSS snapshots, but the official answer seems to rule out their inclusion in Reflect's backup images (except in a WinPE environment) regardless of whether it's done by using a separate "patch" or as a built-in option.

I knew my habit of using WinPE for backup ops must have some good reason; I just didn't know what it was. Wink

Edited 25 May 2015 12:45 PM by Arvy
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for all of your posts. 

I'm afraid that even though System Restore Points can be included in a disk image they are not valid when restored and cannot be used. The KB article is not correct and will be removed. Please do not use the utility MRRestorePoints.exe or modify FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage in the registry.

To include System Restore Points please create images from within Windows PE as this does not use VSS. 

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 25 May 2015 5:15 PM by Nick
Dreamer2004
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)
Nick - 25 May 2015 12:16 PM
To include System Restore Points please create images from within Windows PE as this does not use VSS. 

As Win PE does not use VSS, might it be possible to EXCLUDE files & folders when creating a system image (from within the Win PE rescue environment only)??
This would be a nice feature in the future!

Richard V.
Richard V.
I think you have it slightly backwards.  It's the 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' that allows and handles exclusions from snapshots for imaging purposes and that is not available in the WinPE environment.  In any case, we're drifting off topic for this particular discussion which is about including restore points in backups based on the argument that a true partition image should be complete in all respects.

Edited 25 May 2015 8:22 PM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search