Very Slow Transfer Rate Solved

Author
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
=GDK -- Although I've got the internal drives working well, I can't get my external 500GB WD Passport (USB3) to go better than about 35MB/s.

And how is that external drive connected.  If it's also connected via a hub, try connecting it directly on one of the system's USB3 ports.  Personally, I've never found any of those gimmicky WD or Seagate external drive enclosures that I'd trust for backing up my life's work.  Rosewill's not bad.  The best solution, of course, is a system with "hotswap" drive bays.  Great for "rotating" off-site storage.

As for those Reflect read/write performance numbers, as Froggie says, they shouldn't be taken too seriously.  I've seen them indicate widely varying rates from one time to the next for virtually identical backups -- sometime even "better" rates for backups that actually take longer.  See the example below where a 77GB backup takes 5½ minutes longer to complete and verify than a 78GB backup under identical conditions one day apart, although the latter has a slightly lower reported write speed.  Not a very reliable or meaningful "speedometer", I don't think.

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/f9ea4eff-24ae-4109-9540-b717.png

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/603f93f9-4293-4cef-86d1-4ba3.png

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 5 May 2017 5:52 AM by Arvy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
^ I just have a set of 9 WD 3TB 2.5" USB 3.0 drives in a rotation. The problem with a hot swap dock is that after you remove it you just have an exposed bare drive, but these have the enclosure as some measure of protection and they're still easy to take off-site. I've used 3.5" enclosures in the past for other purposes but haven't had an issue with these WD drives yet, and I figure they may just be using the same type of bridge chip that the enclosure vendors are anyway, so I don't consider them inherently less reliable. Not sure I'd trust my life's work ONLY to one of them, but that's true of just about everything!
Edited 5 May 2017 2:07 AM by jphughan
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
The problem with a hot swap dock is that after you remove it you just have an exposed bare drive,

Well yes, but there are all kinds of cheap carrying cases available for getting them to their fireproof storage destination.  In fact, the original anti-static bag and bubble wrap package will work fine if you save it.

I figure they may just be using the same type of bridge chip that the enclosure vendors are anyway, so I don't consider them inherently less reliable.

1) https://community.wd.com/t/bridge-boards/68198
2) http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995539/storage-drives/western-digital-self-encrypting-external-hard-disk-drives-have-flaws-that-can-expose-data.html
 et cetera ...  The point is that swappable drive bays are connected directly to the mobo's own SATA ports without any intermediary gadgets at all.

Edited 5 May 2017 3:33 AM by Arvy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
^ Oh ok, didn't realize you were talking about SATA/eSATA hot swap bays. I was thinking of drive docks.
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)Expert (973 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I use 3.5"HD disk caddies for my desktops along with the occasional use of a 2.5" WD My Passport.  The caddy solution is great especially now that motherboards recognize when it is present or not - that used to be a PITA because the PC had to be rebooted to recognize it.
Of course, I can't use a caddy on my portables so that is strictly done with 2.5" USB3 My Passports. Been using them for years now (I have 4, IIRC) and I always verify images and my data files that are copied using SyncBack. Never had a problem so I'd trust them as much as I trust any computer stuff. I did have a USB2 external 3.5" HD develop bad sectors but that's a different story.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Yes, and equally relevant and helpful I suppose, is the fact that I've been using Macrium Reflect for years on numerous combinations of HDDs and SSDs and have never had a single backup or restore or cloning problem with any of it personally.  Not ever.  Not once.

In the meantime, I continue to await the OP's response to my question about how the external drive is connected and, in particular, whether a hub is involved.

Edited 5 May 2017 10:01 PM by Arvy
GDK
GDK
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
The external drive is connected directly to the motherboard's USB3 connector with a short 18" USB3 cable. I have updated the USB3 drivers, I'll see how that works out. Thanks all.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search