Resolution in Rescue USB Stick buggy 640x480 in Macrium Reflect after installing new Win 10 Creators...

Resolution in Rescue USB Stick buggy 640x480 in Macrium Reflect after...
Author
Danskeman
Expert
Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
There is a solution that works on any Lenovo afaik.

Download this iso and create a bootable usb drive. 

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html

Macrium Reflect is one of the tools and this will boot in full resolution.

Confirm it is working ok anybody with Lenovo, and I will show you how to update the version when needed. 
Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)

Download this iso and create a bootable usb drive. 

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html

Macrium Reflect is one of the tools and this will boot in full resolution.

Confirm it is working ok anybody with Lenovo, and I will show you how to update the version when needed. 

PS to Macrium developers, a simple pragmatic solution to the 640*480 problem would be to simply add scroll bars to the screens or reorganise where the action buttons are as the problem is not really the resolution but the fact the screens are too big for low resolution and you cannot get to the button to continue recovery.

This is 100% within Macrium's ability to resolve.

I despair somtimes when techies gold plate a solution when a basic solution would at least make it useable in low res.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)

Dunno about that as I haven't tried that particular pre-built WinPE "rescue" ISO.   I can tell you, however, that my own experience with "customized" WinPE building (mostly with WinBuilder) shows a lot of variation in results for screen resolution switching regardless of the hardware involved.  Windows 10 seems to be the least consistent.   Resolution settings with some builds using various W10 ADK boot.wim bases and install.wim extractions work well and some don't work at all.  It's pretty much a "try it and see" process.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 24 May 2017 12:23 PM by Arvy
Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Arvy - 24 May 2017 12:15 PM

Dunno about that as I haven't tried that particular pre-built WinPE "rescue" ISO.   I can tell you, however, that my own experience with "customized" WinPE building (mostly with WinBuilder) shows a lot of variation in results for screen resolution switching regardless of the hardware involved.  Windows 10 seems to be the least consistent.   Resolution settings with some builds using various W10 ADK boot.wim bases and install.wim extractions work well and some don't work at all.  It's pretty much a "try it and see" process.

Fair enough but I bet it does work.  In any case, there is a simple solution i.e. make the screens usable in low resolution.  This is not rocket science!
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Well, as Mike A said, they are working on it.  I'm sure they'll come up with further improvements, but my own experience suggests that it's going to take some considerable amount of "trial and error" to accommodate all of the variables involved.  If you think it's bad now, you should have seen their single pre-set WinPE "rescue" resolution before they added that Other Tasks switcher. Hehe

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 24 May 2017 1:00 PM by Arvy
Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Actually, it is not specifically the low resolution that is the problem.  The problem is the design of the recovery screens do not allow you to click the buttons as they are 'off screen'.

It would be a trivial fix to either move buttons so visible in a low res screen, or add scroll bars.

Not all solutions have to be high tech!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Danskeman - 10 September 2017 8:53 PM
Actually, it is not specifically the low resolution that is the problem.  The problem is the design of the recovery screens do not allow you to click the buttons as they are 'off screen'.

It would be a trivial fix to either move buttons so visible in a low res screen, or add scroll bars.

Not all solutions have to be high tech!

This would be a workaround, not a solution, and in fairness to Macrium, I don't believe anyone designs their UIs to target a 640x480 canvas anymore.  I also don't know enough about Windows UI design to know for certain whether placing the Back/Next/Finish wizard navigation buttons inside a scroll-enabled area would in fact be trivial, but I wouldn't assume that it is -- and even if it IS trivial, I don't think that would align with UI best practices.  Certain elements are deliberately intended to be pinned to the bottom of the window, independent of any scroll-enabled content that may exist within it.

However, mulling this issue over myself as a result of your post, one idea I've just had would be for the wizard windows to size themselves dynamically based on display resolution AND make sure that the main content area is always scroll-enabled, but keep the buttons fixed to the bottom of the window.  This would maintain existing UI design norms, and the dynamic window sizing behavior means people with 640x480 resolution are accommodated, while people who are NOT stuck at 640x480 will not be dealing with tiny wizard windows that always require scrolling/resizing to see everything and asking themselves why Macrium isn't taking advantage of the extra display area that's been available for (most) PCs manufactured over the last 20 years. Smile

In fact I may add this to my "Aggregated quick win requests" Wish List thread, since this certainly sounds easier than working around bad UEFI implementations/display drivers and possible WinPE bugs that have been implicated as the cause of this issue where it exists.

Edited 10 September 2017 10:24 PM by jphughan
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
I'm having the same issue with v7.1.2614 - Windows PE 10 UEFI.  I don't believe it was a problem with my rescue media created with the last MR v7.x version, but I can't be sure.  I am unable to use scroll bars to see all the information in 800x600 resolution, but it appears I can at least access enough of the GUI to be able to use the restore option.  As others have posted, the change display resolution option in the MR GUI only has 800x600 listed.  I'm sporting an an Alienware 13 R3.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Gork

The resolution in PE is unchanged in 7.1. This is a pre-existing UEFI issue. 

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Gork - 1 October 2017 4:37 AM
'm having the same issue with v7.1.2614 - Windows PE 10 UEFI.  I don't believe it was a problem with my rescue media created with the last MR v7.x version, but I can't be sure.  I am unable to use scroll bars to see all the information in 800x600 resolution, but it appears I can at least access enough of the GUI to be able to use the restore option.  As others have posted, the change display resolution option in the MR GUI only has 800x600 listed.  I'm sporting an an Alienware 13 R3.

Based on Nick’s answer, if you’re right that this didn’t exist before, has your BIOS revision maybe changed since the last time you tried Rescue Media? Although that would suggest that the update made things worse. Only having a single resolution in UEFI mode isn’t necessarily a problem (I only have 3200x1800 in UEFI), but obviously the resolution should match the native resolution of the panel. That said, yours is the first post I’ve seen being locked at 800x600 rather than 640x480. Maybe try a BIOS update if you haven’t? Otherwise, another possible cause of this according to a Lenovo KB appears to be a bug specifically in Win10 1607, so it might be fixed when Macrium supports Win10 1703.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search