General tweaks

Author
Trapper
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
1)  Reflect needs to have the ability to create a Desktop shortcut for creating a manual incremental snapshot WITH COMMENTS. As it is now, you have to open the GUI & click 5-6 times through menus to make a manual commented snapshot.

I know I can create a desktop shortcut to run a backup definition, but that method doesn't give any option to add a comment. That's the big difference.

2)  It would be wonderful to be able to manually turn Reflect on/off from the desktop or syst tray.  Part of my backup definition is set to run hourly incrementals, but sometimes I don't want Reflect to automatically start creating the next scheduled hourly snap (for ex, I'm rendering files that temporarily create many GBs of temporary files that I don't need or want backed up).

The backup notification delay popup isn't the answer.  To me, it's seriously irritating having that thing jumping up on the screen every hour.  I've turned it off.  Besides, even if I did use it, it's still lacking.  To be semi useful, I'd need to be sitting at the computer at the exact time the popup appeared to interact with it.  That's not practical.  Plus, I don't know at that time if I need it disabled for another 15 minutes or 3 more hours.  Having the ability to turn auto run on & off manually from the desktop solves all these problems. That's exactly how I controlled AX64 Time Machine before I abandoned it for Macrium & it worked great.

3)  Restore > Image Restore tab:
    a)  It would be nice to have the size of each snapshot listed here.  Currently, you have to click around in other areas to get the snapshot sizes.

b)  It would also be helpful if there was a way to manually add a comment to these auto generated snaps if necessary. There doesn't seem to be any way to manually annotate a comment after the snapshot is already created.

4)  Lastly, hard coded dialog boxes are irritating when you're trying to read the box's contents without pushing sliders around everywhere.  For example: Restore > Image Restore tab > Other Actions > Delete File.  This is a good example of a hard coded box where it's impossible to read everything without pushing sliders constantly.

This isn't meant to be a slamming session against Reflect.  Rather, it's just my initial observations from a fresh set of eyes that have never seen Macrium until a few days ago. I think these are realistic tweaks that would make a great product even better.

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trapper (2/20/2015)
1)  Reflect needs to have the ability to create a Desktop shortcut for creating a manual incremental snapshot WITH COMMENTS. As it is now, you have to open the GUI & click 5-6 times through menus to make a manual commented snapshot.

I know I can create a desktop shortcut to run a backup definition, but that method doesn't give any option to add a comment. That's the big difference.

+1 many times for this suggestion.

What Macrium may not have realized (they probably did but the Marketing folks sure didn't) is that the new RAPID DATA RESTORE feature placed this application right smack in the middle of SNAPSHOT applications.  As such, it's the main feature that brought me here.  When using snapshot apps for MANUAL protective operations, it's very important to be able to COMMENT that snapshot for further  reference... especially when it may reside in the middle of a long incremental chain.  Sure, with about 5-keystrokes or more, you can do this, but as Trapper mentions this feature would be very useful for on-the-fly snapshot requirements.
Colin Pearson
Colin Pearson
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trapper (2/20/2015)
1)  Reflect needs to have the ability to create a Desktop shortcut for creating a manual incremental snapshot WITH COMMENTS.

Another +1 for this request.

I rate this inability to add straightforward per-task comments to each backup or snapshot as Reflect's biggest weakness.
Colin P.

--
Two backups is one backup too few.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search