Changed block tracking and backup security

Author
RussellR
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using Reflect for some time on my home PC and have been backing up to a separate hard drive connected via usb.  To reduce the possibility of access to the backups by malware, I have been in the habit of dismounting the drive via Windows and then making doubly sure by turning off the power to the drive.
However, with the latest updates to Reflect I am continually told that the disk cannot be dismounted as it is still in use.  From reading the Help pages I suspect that the issue is due to Changed Block Tracking.
I can see the benefits of CBT in some situations in terms of time saved, but I am more concerned about the security of my backups.
I know that I could safely disconnect the drive after shutting down my PC, but that would negate the use of CBT, so the simplest solution seems to be switching CBT off.
The account that I run on a daily basis does not have Administrator permissions, so that helps on the security front as far as any malware sneaking onto my PC is concerned, but given the fact that Reflect is able to run with admin privileges without using the Admin account that I have direct access to, another piece of software must be able to do the same.
Is the safest course of action to disable CBT and disconnect after each backup?  Is CBT really leaving a door open for something to trash my system completely, leaving me without usable backups?
Thanks for any advice.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.7K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for posting. 

The lock on the backup drive is likely to be NTFS lazy flushing the file system cache. If it's available, you can change the drive to 'optimise for quick removal' in device manage  or un-check 'Disable Direct disk I/O" in the Reflect defaults. 

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Macrum+Reflect+v7.0+Update+16th+Mar+2017

Let us know if that helps. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The latest release of v7 allows you to enable/disable CBT on a per-drive basis, fyi, so you could disable it on your backup disk while still keeping it enabled on your source if CBT would still be a benefit for your use case.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search