Speed issues persist with version 7.0.2079

Author
FatMonkey
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am one of the people who has experienced the backup speed degradation between v6 and v7. I am backing up from an SSD to a local (USB 3.0) magnetic disk, so presumably the direct I/O (write caching) issue was what was causing the speed slowdown. I have now installed version 7.0.2079 and re-enabled direct disk I/O (i.e. have deselected the "Disable direct disk I/O..." option); however, my backup speed has not improved.

For reference, I am doing an image backup of an SSD drive with roughly 130GB of data. This is a full image backup with verification. This used to take 31-32 minutes with v6. It now takes 41-45 minutes with v7.

After installing update 2079 today, I was watching the backup progress. I noticed that the backup itself is relatively fast (roughly 20 minutes); however, the verification process is taking over 25 minutes. If I am not mistaken, the verification process used to be materially quicker than the actual backup process. So, my question is whether the verification logic has changed from v6 to v7.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi

Thanks for posting.

There have been no changes in verification in v7.  Do you have any other disk activity during verification? 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

FatMonkey
FatMonkey
New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)New Member (42 reputation)
Nick,
The Reflect.exe process , as well as all *.mrbak and *.mrimg files, are excluded from my AV software.
If I'm not mistaken, Macrium creates a temporary image file on the target disk before writing the final file, so maybe the AV software is scanning this temporary file? What is the temporary file called/named? I can try excluding it as well.
Nothing has changed with respect to my hardware setup and/or my AV setup since I upgraded from v6 to v7, so this has to be a Macrium issue.
I understand that you're dealing with a lot of issues trying to get v7 working properly for everybody, but it is pretty disappointing that my imaging speed has declined by 50% with the upgrade, when my expectation (and the reason I actually upgraded) was that speed was supposed to improve...

wenreder
wenreder
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
FatMonkey - 16 March 2017 1:02 PM
I am one of the people who has experienced the backup speed degradation between v6 and v7. I am backing up from an SSD to a local (USB 3.0) magnetic disk, so presumably the direct I/O (write caching) issue was what was causing the speed slowdown. I have now installed version 7.0.2079 and re-enabled direct disk I/O (i.e. have deselected the "Disable direct disk I/O..." option); however, my backup speed has not improved.

For reference, I am doing an image backup of an SSD drive with roughly 130GB of data. This is a full image backup with verification. This used to take 31-32 minutes with v6. It now takes 41-45 minutes with v7.

After installing update 2079 today, I was watching the backup progress. I noticed that the backup itself is relatively fast (roughly 20 minutes); however, the verification process is taking over 25 minutes. If I am not mistaken, the verification process used to be materially quicker than the actual backup process. So, my question is whether the verification logic has changed from v6 to v7.

I have identical Computer config. as you, running same version as yours, the latest USB 3 Drivers and I also noticed the exact same "slowness" just like you ????
FatMonkey
FatMonkey
Nick,
Per your prior query, my target drive is used solely for backup purposes, so there is no other activity on the drive other than Macrium backup/verify processes.

FatMonkey
FatMonkey
Sorry...one more comment/question.
When you guys benchmark on your end, is it typical that the verification process takes significantly longer than the original write process?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)
Per your prior query, my target drive is used solely for backup purposes, so there is no other activity on the drive other than Macrium backup/verify processes

When you guys benchmark on your end, is it typical that the verification process takes significantly longer than the original write process?

Image verification hasn't changed for several years. so we bench-marked imaging speed.  Any differences you are noticing with verification will be outside of Macrium Reflect. Are you running AV software?  AV will often ignore the digital signature, assume a release is now untrusted and interfere with disk I/O.   Fragmentation can also slow down verification. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

FatMonkey
FatMonkey
Nick,
My AV is Windows Defender, which only only allows for exclusion of processes on the basis of name, and not digital signature (i.e. you put the name "Reflect.exe" into the exclusions list, as opposed to pointing to the actual process file/location). So, since the Macrium Reflect program name (i.e. Reflect.exe" has not changed, this is not the issue.

I am going to let my image backup run overnight as usual, so that there is absolutely no additional load on the CPU or I/O during image backup. I'll see if speed improves.

One last question for now. Can you confirm for me that if I am doing a full image backup (it is the initial backup, not a subsequent differential or incremental backup) the CBT settings should be irrelevant? The new version does indeed seem to be turning CBT off for my target disk, but I have not made any other changes. I just want to make sure that I have covered all the bases here.

Thanks

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Can you confirm for me that if I am doing a full image backup (it is the initial backup, not a subsequent differential or incremental backup) the CBT settings should be irrelevant? The new version does indeed seem to be turning CBT off for my target disk, but I have not made any other changes. I just want to make sure that I have covered all the bases here.

CBT is disabled on the target disk when creating any Image Full, Diff or Inc, and therefore has no impact on Image write speed.  CBT is active of the source disk but has no impact on Image read speed. Everything is optimal. 

re-enabled direct disk I/O (i.e. have deselected the "Disable direct disk I/O..." option);

I will just mention that un-checking  'Disable Direct I/O' (therefore enable direct I.O) might not be the best choice.   Although this makes it the same as v6 we have found v7 faster than v6 with Direct I/O disabled. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

FatMonkey
FatMonkey
Hey Nick,

So I've wasted too much time on this today testing out various configurations. This will be my last post/query. I want to summarize what I've found for you here so that you have the data to the extent others are experiencing the same issues. It would be great to get them resolved.

The basic problem:
Even w/update 2079 installed, I have materially slower backup times using v7 than I did when using v6.

I am backing up from an SSD (source) to a USB 3.0 magnetic disk (target). I have been doing a full verification following backup. I have been using the Medium compression (default) setting.

This is not an AV issue. I disabled my AV program completely and results did not change materially.
This is not a hardware issue. I ran a full check (including complete surface check) on my target disk and it is 100% A-OK. No issues there.
This is not a direct I/O issue. I have run image backups with direct I/O enabled, and also with it disabled. The backup times were not materially different between the two options.

With compression set to Medium, my verification times are taking much longer than my original write/backup times. This is odd. Under v6 verification did not typically take longer than backup.

When I turn compression OFF, my overall backup times (including verification) decline significantly (30-40%). This puts them back in line with, or slightly better than, I use to get using v6. Also, with compression OFF the verification time is about equal to the backup time.

You said that there have been no changes made to the verification code. Perhaps some changes were made to the compression algorithms that are causing slowdown due to CPU bottlenecks on the verification step.

That's all from me.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search