Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - An unexpected network error occurred.

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - An unexpected network error...
Author
JohnFleming
Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am making my first backups using v7 after upgrading from v6.
I overcame an earlier issue over network credentials login (see a separate post), but now seem to have a further problem.
I was successful in making a backup of my Outlook files, just under 7GB.
Now, a file-and-folder backup of my hard drives, which will be of the order of 90GB, has failed - twice.
The Monitor window shows the backup proceeding apparently normally, file names flying by, though the progress bar remains at 0%.
Then, and this has happened twice, each time after about 40 minutes, the backup fails, leaving nothing written to the backup location.
Event viewer shows an Event ID 8224 from Source VSS - "The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout".
The Log window returns the error message: Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - An unexpected network error occurred.
What's going on (or rather not going on)?

JohnFleming
JohnFleming
Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)Junior Member (68 reputation)
Stranger and stranger!  -  I have succeeded in making a file backup, of my Outlook mail files, about 7GB, which I do daily.  A full disk image has succeeded, 125GB.  However, a file-and-folder backup, which would be about 90GB, has failed again, same behaviour and error message as described in my earlier post.
Because of my earlier problems, I had recreated the backup definition files, file extension .XML.  I was able to recover an earlier .XML file, one that worked fine with file-and-folder backups in v6, but it didn't work any better here in v7.
What's going wrong?

JohnFleming
JohnFleming
SOLVED! - I think.
In the belief that one is never the only person to whom anything happens, I Googled for "Event ID 8224", and found others who had failed backups to a server.  All reported that re-booting the server cleared the problem.
And so it was with me!  I rebooted my Windows Home Server 2011, and can report taking a successful file-and-folder backup.

jrehm
jrehm
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I continue to have this same issue, but rebooting doesn't help.  In this case Macrium is doing a backup to a local NAS unit and doing a separate monthly full image backup to a remote NAS unit on the other end of a full time VPN tunnel.  Each month the backup to the remote NAS will fail with uexpected network error.  The connection is solid and I can and do often move files back and forth between the endpoints that sometimes go for a few days without failure.
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Is all data transmission through wired connections or is WiFi involved in any part of the path from the computer being backed up to the NAS, itself? Is the NAS local or at a remote site?
jrehm
jrehm
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Drac144 - 8 September 2022 6:29 PM
Is all data transmission through wired connections or is WiFi involved in any part of the path from the computer being backed up to the NAS, itself? Is the NAS local or at a remote site?

Wired connections.  No WiFi involved.  NAS is on the other end of a VPN at a remote site.
jrehm
jrehm
Yesterday I manually ran the job that fails with the network error except that this time I started a continuous ping to the remote NAS unit.  The backup completed without error.  This is the first time it has completed since I setup the job.

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I'm considering that when you ran the manual job that succeeded, perhaps you're not running it the same as a scheduled job would run.

When you run a job manually with Run Now from the Backup Definition File List, it runs with your credentials.  When it runs as scheduled, it runs as whatever you have set in Defaults/Schedule Settings (many people set the switch to run as the System Account which has no network privileges, and you must supply appropriate credentials in the default data). I

f you want to duplicate what happens when it runs as scheduled, go to the Scheduled Backups tab, select a schedule entry, and right-click Run Now. If you do this, you'll have to use the ctrl-alt-m key to surface the running job output display because it will be running in a session different than your login. 

If you already knew this, then my SWAG at what might be different is not helpful.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

jrehm
jrehm
L. W. "Dan" Danz - 9 September 2022 11:18 PM
I'm considering that when you ran the manual job that succeeded, perhaps you're not running it the same as a scheduled job would run.

When you run a job manually with Run Now from the Backup Definition File List, it runs with your credentials.  When it runs as scheduled, it runs as whatever you have set in Defaults/Schedule Settings (many people set the switch to run as the System Account which has no network privileges, and you must supply appropriate credentials in the default data). I

f you want to duplicate what happens when it runs as scheduled, go to the Scheduled Backups tab, select a schedule entry, and right-click Run Now. If you do this, you'll have to use the ctrl-alt-m key to surface the running job output display because it will be running in a session different than your login. 

If you already knew this, then my SWAG at what might be different is not helpful.

Yea, I considered what you speak of after thinking about it some more.  I'll try it as you mentioned to see what happens.  Thanks
jrehm
jrehm
After thinking about this more it hit me that I have other backups running with this same Macrium going to the same remote NAS all with the same credentials and none of them fail.  It's just this particular one which happens to be a time consuming one.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search