Scheduled tasks using SYSTEM account

Author
RayG
Expert
Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It seem that scheduled tasks are now using the system account so if you want to go into the task scheduler to edit some settings you cannot save the edit as you are asked for the system password which we don't know.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V22H2 B19045.3803 MR v8.1.7784
Mike A
Mike A
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)Macrium Representative (331 reputation)
Hi RayG,

This is by design. If you wish to edit the scheduled tasks you can do so within Reflect.

Thanks,

Mike.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
@RayG:  FYI, the LocalSystem account does not have a password.  For details see this MSDN article.  When booted to WinPE it actually runs as SYSTEM, but of course that's no help for scheduling in the regular Windows working environment.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

RayG
RayG
Expert
Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)
@Mike A
Mike if you schedule a powershell file in MR that you have altered and wish to edit the parameters passed it is not possible to do this in MR. It was possible in MR V6 why have you removed this possibility? How for just one example, do you, editing the schedule to have the backup run just once per day when the system starts. The only way I can see to do this is to modify the script to manage this and I did it by adding a parameter that caused a check to be carried out. Right now you cannot change the parameters passed to a powershell file because you cannot save it.
I am afraid I don't quite see the point of this restriction.
Can you add the functionality to edit that parameters passed?

Edit:
I should have said the editing was done by using the task scheduler not directly via MR. MR is just used to create the task in the first place

Regards
RayG
Edited 1 March 2017 3:57 PM by RayG
Olaf
Olaf
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Same problem for me. After updating to v7 a scheduled backup no longer works. My backup job writes the backup directly on my NAS. No network drive is mapped to prevent ransomware encrypting my NAS drive. I'm using a different windows user for my backup, not the logged in user. This special windows user is only for the backup job to prevent ransomware to encrypt all network drives that are mapped with the current user.
The v6 menu entry to specify a different user to run the job no longer exists in v7. The "default settings" entry for a default backup user is completely ignored on creation of the scheduled backup task.
Are there plans to fix this? Thankfully I own a 4 user license and have only upgraded 1 license yet. I'll use one of the other 3 licenses to downgrade back to macrium v6. In this state macrium v7 only works when the backup was started manually by me and this is no real help...

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Are you not able to change the job properties within the Windows Task Scheduler to run under whatever admin user account that you want?  I ask because I haven't yet upgraded to v7 and I'm starting to wonder if I really want to at this point.

Olaf
Olaf
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
No. v7 creates the job in a way that windows 10 forbids any changes to the user that runs the job. That was no problem with v6...
The scheduler user is fixed to SYSTEM. To my knowledge "system" has in windows no rights to access anything over the network. But I dont know if this is the source of the problems.

Edited 1 March 2017 4:15 PM by Olaf
RayG
RayG
Expert
@Olaf - Agreed

Regards
RayG
Richard V.
Richard V.
Sheesh!  What if you use the Reflect UI to delete that job and then create your own using an admin level account in the Windows Task Scheduler.  Does that not work if you set its "configure for" option as Windows 7?  I'm fairly sure I saw something in the v7 user manual about converting v6 scheduled items that way.  I'll try to find it  for you.

Edited 1 March 2017 4:23 PM by Arvy
Olaf
Olaf
I've already tried that several times. Deleted all macrium jobs and then created them with macrium again. I cant alter the windows user on any macrium job. Windows tells me that the user has no rights to change the job...
I've startet the windows scheduler with the admin account, than startet it with my special backup user and than tried my normal windows user. No user has the rights to change the job. Dont ask me what macrium did to accomplish that.

Edited 1 March 2017 4:27 PM by Olaf
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search