Backup names after manual backup

Author
Lunix
Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I have a scheduled G-F-S backup with automatic naming daily.  If I run a full backup manually, will subsequent differential and incremental images use the root name of that image until a new full backup is made?  Or will they use the name of the most recent scheduled full image?

I hope its the former.  But is there a way to control that?

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Reflect works with the most recent full backup set in a folder.  If there is more than one backup set in a folder, the older ones are ignored with regards to adding new incremental or differential backups to the set. Since only the newest backup set is used by Reflect, the name of that full backup will be used in all incremental or differential backups made after that full backup is created.  

You can control things a bit by putting backups in different folders using different backup definition files for each.  That way you can have multiple active backup sets - each in its own folder - doing different kinds of backups or backing up at different intervals, etc.

You can also move older backup sets to a different folder - however all the file names for a backup set will have same root name.

I do not exactly understand your question or at least the situation.  But I hope that the above allows you to answer your own question. 

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
I believe, as long as you're not using your GFS Definition file to create that "rogue" FULL image, a FULL from scratch will allow you (or Reflect) to name that image as you wish and it shouldn't interfere with the current GFS Definition backup chain.

I, of course, have not tried this Smile
Edited 12 December 2016 9:29 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.1K reputation)
Froggie - 12 December 2016 9:28 PM
I believe, as long as you're not using your GFS Definition file to create that "rogue" FULL image, a FULL from scratch will allow you (or Reflect) to name that image as you wish and it shouldn't interfere with the current GFS Definition backup chain.

I, of course, have not tried this Smile

I stand corrected on this.  If your new MANUAL FULL, even if it doesn't use your current GFS Definition, has the exact same partition description as the one being managed by the GFS Definition, any follow-on GFS activities, based on your original Definition file, will be done using this manual FULL as their parent... if they are done to the same folder.
Edited 12 December 2016 9:55 PM by Froggie
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
It looks as though the only way to produce a segregated FULL using the same partition description as the one included in the GFS Definition would have to be to a different folder than the one used by the definition.
Lunix
Lunix
Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)Junior Member (55 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Many thanks to all who replied.  Each reply made me a bit smarter.  Drac144- yes, you fully explained things.  Froggie's posts made things clearer.  Thanks again!

Edited 13 December 2016 3:05 PM by Lunix
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search