Windows Server 2008 R2 hangs

Author
dyack4036
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Trying to come up with a way to bring a downed server up in the fastest time possible. This viBoot seems to be the way to go. We use Macrium on all of our Servers. What other way can we restore to a VM image then use viBoot?...but that's not my real question. Here's the scenario:

I try to boot from an image of a Windows Server 2008 R2 and I get the the dreaded "Boot Failed. EFI SCSI Device. Failed Secure Boot Verification." I know how to fix that, so I go and turn Secure Boot off. Now the PC gets beyond the error (because it shows no error) but it just sits at a black screen. The CPU sits at 0% and I can't get anything to work. I let it sit for 16 hours and I get nothing. So I Reset the VM and Windows boot manager pops up saying it wasn't shut down correctly, so I select "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)", and now the PC hangs right at the end of "Windows is loading files..." (I let it sit there for 8 hours, so I know its stuck).

Any ideas on what to do now? I've restarted this process multiple times with the same result.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)
Group: Moderators
This is almost certainly due to a device driver that is running on original machine, getting confused when running on virtualized (or non-existent) hardware inside the VM.

Any errors/warnings that occur prior to starting the VM can be logged by viBoot, but once the VM begins to boot-up, there is very little information available that we can log.

One solution might be using Hyper-V to configure the VM to boot from a Macrium Reflect Rescue Media ISO and trying the Fix Boot/Redeploy features. 

Please can you give this a try and let us know how you get on?

Given your knowledge on disabling EFI Secure Boot, I'm assuming that you know how to do this, but if not, we can provide instructions.

Kind Regards,
Jamie

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

dyack4036
dyack4036
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
The Rescue disk also gets stuck at the same spot, "Windows is loading files...".  I even re-created the rescue disk and have the same problem.

I made the rescue disk from the physical server, should I do it another way?
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)
Hello dyack4036,

Thank you for contacting us.

Could you please do the following and let me know if it fixes your situation:

Load a working VM that has an installation of Reflect and create an ISO Rescue Media; this will ensure that no foreign drivers are present on the Rescue Media other than the ones needed for a VM to boot.

Once you have created the ISO please attach it to the viBoot VM that you are having troubles booting and run ReDeploy.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Re-deploying+Windows+to+new+hardware+using+Macrium+ReDeploy

If you are still having boot problems after ReDeploy please also run Fix Boot Problems: 

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Fixing+Windows+boot+problems

Please let me know how you get by and make a note of any error received.

Kind Regards

Gosha

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)Macrium Representative (148 reputation)
Hello dyack4036,

Additionally could you please make sure that your VM has enough RAM.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Gosha

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

dyack4036
dyack4036
I think I have a more clear understanding how this works....please correct me if I'm wrong.  Here's how I picture this in my head:

-If I'm going from a VM server to another VM server, I need a Rescue Disk from inside the VM platform I'm using (Hyper-V in my case) and then use the Image from the source Server.
-If I'm going from a Physical Server to VM server, I need a Rescue Disk that was made from the VM, and use the Image I made from the Physical Server.
-If I'm going from an older Physical Server to a new Physical Server (with totally different hardware), I need the Rescue disk from the newer server and the Image from the older server.
-If I'm going from an older Physical Server to a new Physical Server (with the same exact hardware), I need the Rescue disk from the either server and the Image from the older server.
If I run into issues with any of these migrations, I can use the ReDeploy option to help any driver abnormalities.  If I run into further issues, I'll run and make a post here (because you have been very responsive and awesome).

I know this post may fall outside the scope of the original question, but I'm guessing a lot of people may be looking for this info so I'll take the chance and post here.

...and as for my current issue, I'll take another shot at it tomorrow morning.

dyack4036
dyack4036
Sorry just saw your RAM question, yes we are running with 96GB of RAM.  We have no normal running VM's; just using the VM platform for disaster recovery when something blows up.  I gave the VM I was attempting 32GB of RAM so I think I'm in the clear there.  Your solution sounds like a winner (or at least will get me farther down the line).  Thanks!
dyack4036
dyack4036
Spent another several days on this and still haven't been able to recover any server to Hyper-V, or migrate to a new physical server.  

I've followed the instruction and have run "Fix Boot problems" and it brings me to the same issues as before.  It boots off the drive now but as soon as Windows starts loading it dies.  (it dies on the DISK.SYS driver loading)  

What I have NOT been able to do is run ReDeploy once inside the Hyper-V VM.  I run it and it requires drivers to be selected(of course).  What drivers should I be selecting here??  I can't find a single Hyper-V driver to use.  This is a little frustrating because we are using Macrium Reflect to backup all of our servers here - we have bought a ton of licenses.  We'll have to move away from it if we can't do a simple restore.  I'm not trying to complain but I'm baffled what else to try.  I've seen other tutorials that have you make a VHD(or VHDX) file from the image, but if I do that I end up in the exact same situation as I am now.   Windows will start to boot but because of the dis-similar hardware it dies.  

Redeploy seems to be the solution, but unless I provide it Hyper-V drivers (which I cannot find), it won't touch the image.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)Macrium Representative (456 reputation)

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems.

Please can you provide a screenshot of the image that you are trying to boot - as shown in the Reflect “Image Restore” tab?

Here is an example:
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/1506efca-1d76-42d7-8c08-0ab2.png

Kind Regards

Jamie

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

dyack4036
dyack4036
Trying a different tract, but getting stuck in a new way.  I let viBoot make the VM for me (with the image); then I stopped it from booting and put the rescue disk in and tried to restore the same image 'over' the newly made one; but on the Restore I get a "Access Denied".  It's a VM and I booted from the Rescue disk, so how is access denied to that hard drive?  I'll keep messing with it but I feel I'm going backwards now. No need to dive into this issue - I don't want to keep creating new problems/questions, just wanted to say what I tried and what happened.

Attaching the screenshot via file attachment.
Attachments
Reflect_SQL_RestoreImageSS.png (5 views, 116.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search